Adult Speech Therapy Services
Effective Online Speech Therapy
Trained speech therapist work with adults and geriatrics to help with speech, language, and swallowing problems.
Whether the personal concerns originated from childhood, or may have developed as a result of an illness or injury in adulthood, many of these concerns can be treated with effective online speech therapy.
Producing speech sounds correctly and fluently requires both knowing a desired speech sound and learning to coordinate speech muscles. These capabilities can make it easier to communicate and formulate coherent sounds and sentences.
A cognitive disorder can affect memory, attention, problem solving, communication, and organizational skills. This limitation can affect the ability to live independently.
A language disorder can affect an individual’s ability to communicate. This limitation can make it difficult for individuals to speak clearly, comprehend language, read and write.
Adult Swallow Therapy
Mealtimes are usually a bonding experience for family and social gatherings. Unfortunately, for some families, mealtime can be a source of stress because of chewing and swallowing problems for the member of a family. The source of stress can range from fear of eating out in public to frequent hospitalizations for recurrent pneumonia and shortness of breath.
Your loved one may benefit from a swallow evaluation by a speech-language pathologist to see what the cause of the swallowing problem is for improved eating and drinking.
Adult Swallow Therapy
Adults can require swallow rehabilitation to make the entire process of eating, drinking, chewing, and swallowing safe and pleasurable.
Is Adult Speech Therapy for you?
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
What are common frustrations heard by Speech Therapists?
- “I know what I want to say but I can’t get it out.”
- “Hard… to… talk.”
- “ah” (is supposed to be “help me”)
- “I gggggget stuck on wo-wo-words when I talk.”
- “People say I sound drink when I talk.”
- “My brain feels fuzzy.”
- “I forgot to turn off the stove.”
- “I hate being asked to repeat what I said.”
- “I need more help during the day.”
- “My wife says I’m more irritable. I think I’m doing just fine.”
- “I get strangled during meals.”
- “My dad coughs on water.”
- “Mom gets shortness of breath when she drinks.”
- “Dad has chronic shortness of breath during meals.”
- “My doctor can’t figure out why grandma has a chronic cough.”
- “I don’t know why I keep getting pneumonia.”
- “I keep feeling food stuck in my chest when I eat.”
- “My dad forgets to swallow.”
- “My grandma holds food in her mouth for hours after a meal.”
Who can benefit from speech therapy?
- Can you identify common items?
- Is it hard to follow simple commands
- Trouble pronouncing certain sounds in words?
- Is speech slurred?
- Do you stutter when you speak?
- Do you get frustrated when speaking?
- Is speech hard to understand?
- Is reading hard work?
- Do you withdrawal and avoid social situations?
- Do you have fuzzy thinking following a stroke or brain injury?
- Is it hard to focus on basic tasks?
- Do you have new memory loss?
- Are new routines difficult for you?
- Does food spill out of your mouth?
- Does food remain in your cheeks 30 minutes after meals?
- Do you remember to chew and swallow your food?
- Are you able to stay awake during an entire meal?
- Are you drooling throughout the day?
- Do you have coughing or gagging during meals?
- Do you have delayed coughing fits 1-15 minutes after meals?
- Do you have history of unexplained pneumonia?
- Do you have painful swallowing?
- Do you have history or current use of a feeding tube?
- Are you experiencing unintentional weight loss?
Liz Patton, MS, CCC-SLP
Owner & Speech-Language Pathologist
Get Started with a FREE 30 minute Phone/Zoom Consultation
Sign up below and you'll be able to book your free consultation on our calendar.
No pressure. No obligations. Let us learn more about what you hope to accomplish in speech therapy.
Providing quality, compassionate, and individualized online speech therapy care for children and adults in North Carolina and Florida.
Monday 09:00am – 05:00pm
Tuesday09:00am – 05:00pm
Wednesday09:00am – 05:00pm
Thursday09:00am – 05:00pm
Friday09:00am – 12:00pm